Working on Your Core

So this is probably some people's worst nightmare. Whenever I take long breaks in between core exercises I just regret ever stopping because the pain rushes back every time. Of course my methods may not be the most proper or it may not even work for everybody but last time I did a workout like this I could see results within 2 weeks. After I stopped for about 2 weeks because of the term break, i recently started again and it's only been about 4 days now and I can definitely feel a difference!

One main thing that you need is motivation. The workouts that I do last probably only 10 minutes, so they aren't long but it's all to do with self motivation. Of course there are times when I really just don't have the energy and I don't want to continue but it's a learning experience when you miss a few days and feel the burn when you return.

So that's enough babbling down to the exercises. After the last exercises I did, I have since changed my routine to something that works everything a bit more.

So first time round I did planks, crunches and occasionally push-ups. As a dancer I prefer not to do too many push-ups but after not doing them for a few months I realised I needed to whip those back into shape.

So I would start with 2 sets of planking, 1 minute each, then 4 sets of crunches, 15 each and then 10-20 pus-ups depending on how I'm feeling after that. Each day I would increase the planking by 10 - 20 seconds.For me, I know that planking works best with crunches coming close behind (crunches with legs parallel to the ground with a 90 degree bend at the knees).

Now, my workout is slightly different. I begin with crunches, 3 sets of 20. Then I use weights and cross them from either side of my body (body off the ground but at a 45 degree angle and feet elevated) working my obliques. After that, comes planks, 3 sets and I started them off at 1 minutes, 45 seconds and then 30 seconds. However, after my workout with a partner yesterday, I let them have control of the timer and managed to do 1 minute 30, 1 minute and then 1 minute 45 which to me was a pretty good achievement after just beginning to condition my body again. And then I would do crunches with my feet on the floor and touching my ankles which might not seem like a lot but after all that exercise you can only trust that it will hurt.

And there you go, my routine for conditioning your abdominal muscles and I hope that will help you out the same as it has for me!

Till next time,

xx Alison

0 comments:

Post a Comment